What Makes Us Unique
A Little About Island Creek
Island Creek Elementary opened its doors the first day of school, September 2, 2003. This state of the art school is built and equipped with a variety of creative space options, including a theater arts room, multi-purpose rooms, comprehensive media center, computer lab, TV production studio, and a weather center. Technology is a critical, embedded learning tool in a full PC environment. Students and teachers have wired and wireless Internet access, multiple computers in each room, as well as wireless mobile laptop labs that travel to students providing networked access for an entire classroom. In addition, all classrooms are equipped with smart boards and audio enhancement sound systems for use in classrooms.
Island Creek Elementary has nearly 100,000 square feet of instructional area which supports an array of instructional opportunities, including academic enrichment, comprehensive reading, and math programs. Creative opportunities and challenging science and social studies instruction are addressed at all levels. An impressive focus on physical education and the arts, including fine arts, choral, band and strings is evident throughout the school.
The heart of Island Creek rests in the people who make the school all that it is. The high academic standards that Island Creek embraces, and its vision for developing the citizens of tomorrow, reflect a shared investment in student success. The school's academic mission represents collaboration and a singular commitment to excellence. It is responsive to data-based instructional decision making. School-wide priorities emphasize student achievement in language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, the arts, and the development of valued character qualities. Island Creek provides an inclusive educational program that defines success when all students achieve and view themselves as valued learners.
- Croc's Creed - School-wide Character Ed Program
- Teacher cadet partnership with Hayfield Secondary School
- Advanced Math Program (3rd-6th Grade)
- Student-produced daily news show
- Volunteers for reading/Volunteer training program
- Active, supportive, and involved PTA
- School-Age Child Care before and after school
- 6th Grade Debate
- 38 fully equipped classrooms
- Academic enrichment room
- Stage and Theater Arts room
- Computer Lab
- 2 multi-purpose pod areas
- 2 Fully equipped art education rooms
- 2 fully equipped choral music rooms
- Band and orchestra instruction rooms
- Fully equipped full-size gym
- 2 ball fields, softball and soccer
- 2 outdoor play structures for preschool and school-age students