Students at Island Creek are assessed in many areas throughout the year.
Some of the Virginia and Fairfax County assessments that our students take are:
- iReady Universal Screener for math and reading for K-6 students
- Grades 3-6 Standards of Learning (SOL) tests and eCART tests
- Kindergarten Math Reasoning Assessments
- Grades 1-2 Math Reasoning Assessments
- Grades K-6 Developmental Reading Assessment, 2nd Edition
- WIDA for ESOL students
- Naglieri for grade 1 students
- CogAT for grade 2 students
It is helpful if you can avoid appointments which may take your child out of school during testing. Also, it will help your child perform his or her best if he or she has had a good night’s rest, a healthy breakfast, and comes to school with a positive attitude.
The following are a few testing tips you may find helpful:
- Students always want to do their best. Reassure your child that testing time is their opportunity to shine and to show how much they have learned throughout this year and previous years.
- Talk to your child about the test and why they are taking it. Let your child know the test is important, but don’t be overly anxious about their performance on it.
- Children have been taught test taking strategies; ask them what strategies they use for their tests.
- Encourage your child to relax.
- Remind your child to listen up. To pay close attention to the teacher's instructions and carefully read the test instructions to make sure they understand exactly what they are supposed to do.
- If you are having a hard time with one question, remind the student to think about their test taking strategies.
- Never underestimate the importance of home support: a good night sleep, a good breakfast, and positive send off from home, you provide the launching pad!
If you have any questions, please call the school office at 571-642-6300.