Health Room

Staff contact, student medication, illness procedures, and more

Phone Number


  • 8:35 AM - 3:20 PM


Student Health at Island Creek

Sick Child

Our school Health Room is staffed by the Fairfax County Health Department and Health Aide program. Health room aides (HRAs) who staff the Health Room are NOT nurses, but are trained by the Health Department and work under the supervision of a nurse. The Health Room is not a medical clinic. If your child becomes sick or has an injury, you will be contacted according to guidelines. If your child needs to go home, he or she must be picked up as soon as possible. The emergency contact persons listed on your child’s emergency care information sheet may be contacted to pick up your child if you cannot be reached.

For the continued health of the Island Creek community, please have students stay at home for at least 24 hours after the symptoms have cleared.

School Attendance: When Should I Send My Child To School?

Children and adolescents will get sick at times and may need to stay at home, but we want to work with you to help minimize the number of days your child misses school. More information

Health Information Form

The Health Information Form is to be completed by the parent or guardian at the start of each school year. The completed form is to be returned to the school clinic.

Prescription Medications


Children who need to take medication during school hours must have a signed Medication Authorization, Release, and Indemnification Form. Prescription medications require the signature of both the parent and the physician. Inhalers and EpiPens require authorization forms.

Over-the-counter Medications

Over-the-counter (OTC) medications are drugs that can be purchased without a doctor's prescription and are used for the relief of symptoms on a temporary basis. With parent and physician authorization, OTC medications may be given on an "as needed" basis throughout the school year. Parents may authorize limited use for 10 consecutive days with a completed Medication Authorization FormExamples include antihistamines for allergic reactions.

With parent permission using the Medical Authorization Form, certain OTC medications may be given on an "as needed" basis throughout the school year only as a pain reliever for headaches, muscle aches, menstrual cramps, or orthodontic pain. The medication must be supplied by the parent in its original container. Examples include Tylenol, Advil, Pamprin, and aspirin.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Transport of Medications to and from School

Parents must transport medications to and from school. All medications must be kept in the clinic and taken under adult supervision. Middle school children are not permitted to carry medications, including OTC medications, except for prescription inhalers or EpiPens with the authorization of their parent(s) and physician.

Scheduling Medical Appointments

Please make every effort to schedule appointments outside of school hours. When this is not possible, please send a note to the school on the morning of the appointment stating the time the child will be picked up. For safety reasons, parents must sign out children in the office.

Release of Student from School

In the event of an illness or emergency, only those individuals designated on the Emergency Care Information form will be contacted. Parents are able to update their child's emergency information online using ParentVue or by stopping by the school office. For safety reasons, a valid picture ID will be needed to sign out your student.

In an emergency, 911 will be called prior to contacting the parent