Absences and Tardies
When parents know their child is going to be absent or tardy from school. State law requires that parents provide a satisfactory explanation for a child’s absence for all or any part of the school day. This will eliminate the need for the school to make a call to the home or workplace to confirm absences.
You can provide attendance information in one of these ways:
- Online Attendance Form
- Attendance Answering Machine: 571-642-6363 (messages can be left 24 hours a day)
- Attendance Email: @email
Please be sure to provide:
- Your child’s full name
- The teacher’s name
- The reason for the absence or tardy
- If your child is sick, please provide a general description of the illness.
It is important for the school to know if your child has contracted a communicable disease such as chicken pox, conjunctivitis, or strep throat.
Absences are understandable in situations of: Illness; death in the family; medical or dental appointment; observance of a religious holiday; or a family emergency.
To request a prearranged absence from school, please submit the "Request for Prearranged Absence Form" in advance.
Absences Add Up: FCPS School Calendar Gives Time for Families to Travel
Families benefit from visiting relatives and reconnecting with friends throughout the year. If you are planning a trip, consider traveling when students are off from school, such as teacher workdays or FCPS holidays.
Respecting the importance of attendance, parents of students with excessive absences and unexcused tardies can expect follow up from the school administration. An accumulation of unjustified absences and/or tardies is reason for the school administration to follow up. The attendance guidelines for Island Creek are as follows:
- When unexcused absences or tardies accumulate during a quarter, a letter from the principal’s office will be sent home.
- When additional absences or tardies accumulate, a follow-up letter will be sent.
- If unexcused tardies or absences continue, a conference and a referral could be made to Fairfax County Public Schools attendance officer.
Families are expected to make travel plans during times of school vacations. Parents should seriously consider the educational implications of disrupting the educational progress for family holidays. Absences for family holidays when school is in session are considered unexcused. Teachers do not provide homework assignments for family holidays. Make up class work can be requested from the teacher after two consecutive days of absence from school due to excused absences.